In this article, we highlighted the importance of studying in a group and explained how its experience could benefit both students’ education and teachers.
Study groups are a key tool to facilitate student learning and education. It can help students enhance their skills and better understand the subject.
How Does Studying in Groups Work?
Studying in groups is an effective learning tool for students.
If they know something better, they can teach others. And if they need to know something better, they can ask other people to help them.
Studying in groups is effective because it is more fun than studying alone.
When you think of something, you can share your thoughts or what you write in your journal with others. Thus, you can add more knowledge into your brain.
Study groups can also help teachers because they do not have to teach everything in the textbook.
Students will share their knowledge so that teachers do not have to do all the work themselves.
Therefore, teachers can spend more time teaching other important stuff with no educational intervention.
Why Studying in Groups is More Effective?
Studying in groups is more effective than being alone. The reason behind it is that when you study in a group, you will be more motivated.
If you understand something better, you can teach others.
Nevertheless, if you’d prefer to study alone and have your preferred private tutor, then Cudy is your solution. Sign up now!
If you do not understand something well, you can ask others to help you understand it. Other people will also be motivated to study.
If they want to help someone else, they will have to make sure what they are saying is correct. That way, the person does not get confused or get the wrong information.
Besides, students will feel comfortable asking questions because everyone would help one another out.
Photo by Monstera on Pexels.
What To Do When Group Study?
As we all know, group study involves more than one participant in school.
In communicating with people to solve problems, there are a few important things that you should consider when doing a group study.
- Be respective of other people
- Be open-minded to other ideas
- Be honest when you are answering questions or presenting a topic
- Don’t be shy when explaining things or giving an answer and don’t be afraid to answer simple questions
- Don’t have an ego and don’t let your pride impede group work because you are the one who will suffer in the end
- Don’t underestimate how important it is for you to be on time for a group study session
- Be prepared for anything, meaning if you know your friend might get late, make sure that the two of you can start working together wasting no time.
What Not To Do When Group Study?
In opposite, there are also things that you should not do when doing a group study, which are:
- Don’t be late because it will waste everyone’s time, including yours
- Don’t be arrogant and don’t act like you know everything, because nobody knows everything.
- Don’t over-talk or interrupt other people while they’re explaining or discussing something. You might end up confusing them, and no one wants that to happen.
- Don’t be selfish by not helping others with their assignments or projects when you know you can help them. Your friends will always be there for you when you need some help with your work. Hence, why not help them in return?
- Don’t show off if you can get the answers to a problem on your own, especially if the answer is very simple. Everyone should do it on their own without having to copy someone else’s answer.
- Don’t underestimate the power of collaboration. Working together will yield a more productive output than working by yourself.
- Don’t be too shy when you’re doing a group study because it might make other people feel awkward around you.
- Don’t be too serious about doing things together. Take a break once in a while to have some fun with your friends while still maintaining the focus on your work as well.
The Boon Side of Group Study
There are many advantages to group study in school. Here they are:
1. Improve Knowledge
One of the major advantages is that students can improve their knowledge on the subject better than studying alone by their experience in the group study.
If they answer a question, they will explain the answer clearly to other students.
They can also ask other people to explain their answers if they misunderstand.
Photo by Monstera on Pexels.
2. Help is Always Available
Another major advantage is that students do not have to worry about anything because other people are around them, and they will help them regard the certain event.
They do not have to worry about asking questions in class. Their friends are all around them, and if there is something that is not clear, they can easily ask them for help.
3. Improve Communication Skills
Studying with others in a group will also help students with their communication skills and sharing knowledge.
Usually, when you are grouped with others, you have to communicate with each other to study well together.
In this generation of the pandemic era, where education is conducted mainly at home, students can do group study communication by chat or email to help them catch the lessons.
When studying in a group, share your knowledge. It will be easier for students to understand the subject better or higher level than just studying alone.
4. Eliminate Boredom
Studying in groups also helps students to eliminate boredom with educational intervention.
If they are not interested in studying alone, they can easily ask their friends to study with them.
Studying in groups is also helpful for students who have problems with motivation. They will be more motivated to study when grouped by other students.
5. Avoid Mistake’s Repetition
Another major advantage of studying in groups is that students can learn from each other’s mistakes to repeat the same mistakes later on.
Studying in a group is also beneficial because it will be easier for them to understand a specific subject than just studying alone.
Studying in a group will also help students get along well with other people without educational intervention since they know each other already.
The Bane Side of Group Study
There are some disadvantages of studying in a group and advantages. Some disadvantages include:
1. Not All People Like It
Studying in a group is not always the best way to study. Some students prefer to study alone because it will be more efficient for them.
Sometimes, students consider group study as an intervention.
They may feel they can understand the subject better if they study alone.
Photo by Keira Burton on Pexels.
2. Can Be Stressful and Distracting
Studying in groups can also be stressful for students’ education.
They have to make sure that they get along well with others and share their knowledge with them to benefit from it later on.
Studying in groups is not always a better learning tool. Sometimes, it will be easier for students to slack off instead of studying alone.
Some students also think that studying in a group is less effective than studying alone.
By the way, if you’d prefer to study alone or in a 1-on-1 situation with the teacher, sign up to Cudy today and pick your preferred online private tutors!
3. Give Pressure to Shy Kids
Studying in groups is also not always beneficial for some students who do not have excellent communication skills or are shy.
They will need to communicate with other people and share their knowledge about the subject with others.
It is something new for them since usually, shy people usually like to study alone. After all, they are not comfortable communicating with other people.
Study Group Extension: Writing Paper as a Group
Writing a term paper is a very challenging task for students, and it is a great way to evaluate their writing abilities.
Students need to develop ideas and write them down in an organized manner to make sure that they deserve good grades.
Some students prefer to write a term paper by themselves, while some choose to work in groups.
However, writing a term paper is easier said than done because it takes time and effort to get the job done.
In this article, we highlighted how writing a term paper in groups can be beneficial for both students and teachers and how it can be a bane of both parties involved.
Decide Carefully Whether You’re Going to Do It
Group study can be a boon or a bane for students. It depends on the situation and the people involved.
The major advantage of studying in groups is that students will understand a specific subject better than studying alone.
Meanwhile, the major disadvantage of group study is that sometimes, students cannot study well if there are people who do not have superb communication skills or are too shy to communicate with other people.
It is up to each student if they want to study in a group or not.
The group study will not always help them in their studies, but it can also help them if they want to learn more about the subject faster than usual.