How to Select a Good Home Tutor?
With the advancement of technology, education has been changing from traditional to online. The latest trend is the “home tutor”.
A home tutor is an education method where a teacher comes to the student’s house for teaching. This method is popular among parents who want to give their children a better education and cannot go to school for various reasons.
However, when choosing a home teacher, parents must know the requirements to select a good home teacher who gives the best tuition lesson.
What is a Home Tutor, and What Are His Responsibilities?
A home tutor KL is a teacher who educates students. He can be a schoolteacher or an experienced educator from the school system.
In Malaysia, the responsibilities of a private tutor are as follows:
- assist students who have problems in their studies;
- give personal attention to children who have poor academic performance;
- provide additional learning materials for children whose teachers cannot afford to purchase teaching materials;
- conduct activities that help children develop their skills and personalities and contribute to their well-being.
However, if your goal is to select a good home tutor, there are some points that you should pay attention to.
Photo by Isaac Smith on Unsplash.
How to Check Their Qualifications?
Ask the home tutor for a list of references from former students or employers. Besides, you can also ask your friends and relatives for their opinions about the home tutor.
The teacher should have experience in education. You can choose a teacher who has graduated from a university with a bachelor’s degree or above and has had over five years of teaching experience in schools.
A qualified teacher will explain things clearly and adequately guide the student. If he does not have teaching experience, you can consider asking him to attend training courses or enroll him in education courses to improve his skills and knowledge in teaching.
If possible, determine whether the home tutor is registered with any organizations or associations related to education and learning.
The organization may conduct training courses for teachers to improve their skills or provide opportunities for teachers. Teachers can receive rewards and certificates of recognition for their work if they have performed well.
If you plan to hire a home tutor for your child, do not forget to check the home tutor’s qualifications. For example, check whether he has a valid identification card and is registered with the Malaysian Teachers Registration Board (MTRB).
What to Ask During Interview
When you interview the home tutor, pay attention to his communication skills; if he can communicate well with you and your child, it will be easier for him to build a good relationship with your child.
The relationship between the teacher and student will also help children develop their confidence in learning.
When selecting a home tutor, you should also consider whether there are any costs involved in hiring him as a teacher or educator.
Some teachers charge fees per hour of teaching. In contrast, others charge by subject or lesson plan and provide other services, such as preparing class materials and conducting workshops for students.
Therefore, parents must consider whether they can afford their children’s teachers’ fees before hiring them as educators or tutors for their children.
How to Select a Good Home Tutor?
First, choose a good and professional tutoring agency. Many tutoring agencies in Malaysia offer various kinds of services, such as online tutoring services and home tutoring services; it’s up to you which one you choose.
However, when choosing an agency, you should be very careful. Some terrible agencies provide fake teachers and cheat customers by charging high fees.
Therefore, if you want to choose a good agency, here are some tips for you:
Tips on Selecting A Good Agency
- Look at the teacher’s qualification—whether they have a degree or diploma from an accredited university or not? Whether they have a teaching certificate?
- Check whether the agency is registered or not. If they are not registered, it means that they are not legal and will cheat you in the end. So, choose a registered agent if you want to get an excellent service.
- Ensure that the teacher has experience in teaching. Some agencies provide home tutors who are just fresh graduates or have just graduated from college. Still, these kinds of teachers cannot teach well because they lack experience.
- Check the agency’s reviews—you can ask around or look at the agency’s website to check the agency’s reviews. You can also search online for other parents’ experiences with that agency.
Photo by Agnieszka Boeske on Unsplash.
- Check whether they provide free trial lessons. Some agencies offer free trial lessons to have a try before you pay for their service. You should take advantage of this chance to try their service and decide if they are good.
- Ensure that they have flexible payment methods. You should choose an agency that offers many payment methods, such as cash, online banking, credit card, etc. It will be easier for you to pay for them.
- Do not be afraid to ask for the rate. You should make sure that you know how much it will cost you to hire a tutor from that agency.
- Check whether they have exemplary customer service. This is very important because you may need to contact them if there is any issue with your order.
- Last, ask about their cancellation policy—some agencies allow their customers to cancel the order anytime paying no fee. You can also negotiate with them about the cancellation policy before signing up for their services.
Getting the Best Home Tutor Experience
When you are looking for a home tutor, select a good home tutor. Use all the tips we’ve provided to ensure you get the best home tutor possible.
Don’t forget to check on Cudy’s private tutor to have your preferred online private tutor in many subjects!